Monday, May 24, 2010

Rest.


So, I've been learning a lot the past 2 weeks on the importance of REST. After a FULL/FUN/CHALLENGING/BEAUITFUL/REFINING year of launching ministries--I think I've forgotten how to slowwww down. (And, sometimes I start to feel guilty for slowing down, yikes!) My prayer for the summer is that even though it will be busy that I will :embrace: the little moments to rest/restore.

Here are little -daily- things that help me(& hopefully you)rest/relax:(most of which are under $5)
*Trader Joe's Sparkling LIME Spring water! (.79!) This is a new love of mine. It's a GREAT calorie free complement to any snack, meal. *This has made limiting my Dr. Pepper consumption to 2/week easier:)
*Saturday morning blog reading!
*Last week I got a Library card! I wanna start reading more fiction books this summer...the first one I checked out::: The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks(don't hate)...i'm on page 160 of 390...so far it's pretty average but i am interested in how it will all end. What other books do you think I should check out this summer? I'd LOVE to hear suggestions!
*Playing Skipbo with Bri at Starbucks or Norfolk Ice Cream!
*Walking through our neighborhood with a good friend or a good talk on my Ipod(Louie Giglio,Francis Chan, Piper, Priscilla Shirer...). I need to blog about our neighborhood sometime-it's one of my TOP fav things about living in Norfolk.
*Watching Everybody LOVES Raymond reruns with Bri(&popcorn.)
*Trying new recipes! Cooking=rest to me. My summer goal is to try a new/fun recipe each week. Let me know if you have a good one I should try.
*Today to rest I woke up at 6:15am and cracked the window open so that I could clearly hear the birds singing. I know it sounds crazy but it was actually REALLLLY interesting to hear all the different songs birds sing.
*Curling up with any of the Better Homes and Gardens Creative Collection magazines. Especially 100 Decorating Ideas under $100. It only comes out 4 times a year--I get really pumped when there is a new issue!
*Workbooks! Last summer I did the Anointed, Transformed, Redeemed workbook by Priscilla Shirer, Beth Moore, and Kay Arthur. This summer I am working on the "sequel" to that book, Faithful, Abundant, True. It's by the same 3 women. Love it. Has been a GREAT encouragement in my walk with the Lord.
*There's a dog park in my neighborhood! This dog park is always BUMPIN'! On average there are 15-20 dogs with 15-20 people standing around. I haven't gotten the courage YET but I am hoping to slip in without someone noticing that I am coming in without a dog...when i'm in I can just play with all the dogs(no one will know i'm dogless)..and then somehow I will slip out. This will def help me rest:) ha.

2 comments:

  1. You should definitely read The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. It is a fascinating work of non-fiction and fiction altogether. She is perhaps my all-time favorite writer, and this book is a classic. LOVE it! I recently joined a book club, and it is so fun! I love reading books I wouldn't otherwise pick up and meeting women from all kinds of different backgrounds and environments. It's crazy fun. :)

    And in terms of rest, I need to learn the same lesson. Good words, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once Samson has his last shot we can both take him to the dog park so you won't exactly be dogless :) Looking forward to our walk on thursday!

    ReplyDelete