Tuesday, February 15, 2011

A football story.

I went 25 years of my life without ever watching a football game.

But then I moved to Morgantown, WV and things changed. I was all of the sudden in a place where football was everything. And, I loved it! As the years went on, Fall made me think football--cookouts made me think football--Saturdays made me think football.

And, not too long after the move to Morgantown I met Brian. He loves football- A LOT. Not only Mountaineer football but Pittsburgh Steeler football. He REALLY loves the Steelers. He recently ranked his sports love for me:

1. Steelers

2. WVU football

3. WVU basketball

4. Pittsburgh Pirates

5. Pittsburgh Penguins.


Anywayyy. I now LOVE the Steelers & the NFL too. I have even played fantasy football the past 3 years.

As you can imagine the Steelers going to the Super Bowl was a HUGE thing around here. The two weeks leading up to the Game was filled with impromtu dance offs to the song Black and Yellow{YOU KNOW WHAT IT IS!)-terrible towel waving-and Brian screaming"Steeeeeelllllerssssss" without warning several times a day. It was a mad house.

Game day arrived. We were ready.





We all made predictions before kick-off:


We even had a good friend from Pittsburgh, Jon Mathieu, come for the weekend and watch the game with us. It was SO fun for Brian to have a die-hard Steelers fan{that's a boy} to watch the game with.

As we all know the game didn't end as we hoped.

But something that I kept thinking about through the entire game was how far Ben Roethlisbeger(Steelers QB) has come this year. Last April or something he was accused of doing weird things to women in bathrooms. This led to a 4 game suspension....so when the NFL kicked off this year he was at home watching it on his TV. For 4 games. 4 weeks-no team interaction. I just feel like when that happens you don't end up going to the Super Bowl that year.

But. It. Happened.

I keep hearing whispers that Ben is praying more. getting discipled now. starting to love God.

Time will tell how serious Ben is about his faith, but 2 days before the Super Bowl a reporter asked Ben:

What does Jesus Christ mean to you?
Everything, honestly. Everything.

Ben didn't finish the game the way he hoped. But, I feel like in a lot of ways he still won this year.

3 comments:

  1. no mention here of my terrible towel.

    p.s. i told everyone at the party about ben.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i LOVE everything about this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our lives are freakishly similar :)

    ReplyDelete